​​Lakewood Männerchor

German American Club of Monmouth and Ocean Counties
Founded September 8, 1928
Mailing Address
PO Box 118
Lakewood NJ 08701

A touch of the Old World at the Jersey Shore,
A History of the Lakewood Maennerchor

The notion of a society or club originated on a sunny Sunday in July 1928, at the beach in Point Pleasant. New Jersey, as a tenor voice emerged from the shadow of the boardwalk singing the old familiar German folk song, "O wie Herbe Ist Das Scheiden".  Inspired by this well-known melody, several young German men decided to establish a singing society.
The idea spread among many interested friends of the original group and on September 28, 1928, the Lakewood Maennerchor was officially founded.  

Richard Hornickle became the first President of the organization and Conrad Dost became the first Director of the Chorus.  The chorus originally held rehearsals at the Hindenburg Inn in Lakewood.

The organization, however soon desired a permanent home, and so, a six acre parcel of land was purchased.  In the spring of 1930, the cornerstone was laid and work was begun on a 24 x 30 foot building.  Labor was provided voluntarily by the members.As the club grew in popularity, many new members were initiated.  The club was often invited to visit other clubs and join their activities.  In fact, on the occasion of the 1930 landing of the Graf Zeppelin in Lakehurst, the society entertained thousands of visitors with German folk songs.  The event was reported by the top-ranking newspapers in America.

In 1930, the Frauenverein Des Lakewood Maennerchor was formed and in July 1948, the Damenchor, or ladies chorus was organized.  Anna Kohsen was the first president of the Frauenverein.  In 2005 the Frauenverein was merged with the Maennerchor. Soon the need for expansion was evident and members again gave generously of their time and talents.  Throughout the years, the structure has been enlarged and improved many times.  At present the Saengerhalle provides seating for approximately 334 people and includes and ample dance floor, a stage, and a large well equipped-kitchen.  Outdoors is a large picnic area with bowling and shuffleboard facilities, volleyball area, raised dance pavilion, and a small bar.  As many as 800 guests have been entertained here in the past.

The chorus in its eighty-forth year, numbers 12 ladies, and  11 gentlemen, and is supported wholeheartedly by the 175 active and passive members.  The Lakewood Maennerchor and Damenchor have been supportive members of the Nordoestlciher Saengerbund for many years, and are proud of their association with this great regional organization for the preservation of German culture through music.

The Lakewood Maennerchor holds it's business meetings on the first Saturday evening of each month throughout the year.  The annual General Meeting the first Saturday in January.  At this meeting, elections of the Executive Board and Business Committee take place.  Dances and Fests take place throughout the year and are open to the public.

The General Von Steuben Monument located in 
Monmouth Battlefield State Park

The Lakewood Maennerchor, its members, individual donors, and the efforts of  its  late President Hans 
Pfeiffer, raised over $18,000 for the monument fund making it the largest single contributor. Credits must also be given to member Siggi Bette and his son Paul who were instrumental in the acquisition, and erection of the statue at its present site.